Current:Home > ContactCharles H. Sloan-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -WealthTrack
Charles H. Sloan-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 03:28:44
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Charles H. Sloanagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (147)
Related
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Katie Meyer's parents, Stanford at odds over missing evidence in wrongful death lawsuit
- LeQuint Allen scores 4 TDs as Syracuse upsets No. 23 UNLV in overtime
- How sugar became sexual and 'sinful' − and why you shouldn't skip dessert
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Family plans to honor hurricane victim using logs from fallen tree that killed him
- 'It was just a rug': Police conclude search after Columbus woman's backyard discovery goes viral
- Evidence of alleged sexual abuse to be reviewed in Menendez brothers case, prosecutors say
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- 'It was just a rug': Police conclude search after Columbus woman's backyard discovery goes viral
Ranking
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- NFL says the preseason saw its fewest number of concussions since tracking started
- Dream On: The American Dream now costs $4.4m over a lifetime
- NFLPA calls to move media interviews outside the locker room, calls practice 'outdated'
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- A month before the election, is late-night comedy ready to laugh through the storm?
- Ben Affleck Steps Out With New Look Amid Divorce From Jennifer Lopez
- You'll Cry a River Over Justin Timberlake's Tribute to Jessica Biel for Their 12th Anniversary
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Will Lionel Messi play vs. Toronto Saturday? Here's the latest update on Inter Miami star
Airbnb offering free temporary housing to displaced Hurricane Helene survivors
'I let them choose their own path'; give kids space with sports, ex-college, NFL star says
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Christina Hall Lists Her Tennessee Home for Sale Amid Divorce From Josh Hall
Civil rights groups ask to extend voter registration deadlines in hurricane-ravaged states
Well-known Asheville music tradition returns in a sign of hopefulness after Helene